Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Special Education Teacher (2020-21)
Special Education Teacher (2020-21)
|Office:||BASIS Washington DC|
|Location:||Washington DC, DC|
BASIS DC is seeking qualified candidates for a Special Education Teacher for the 2020-21 school year!
- Comprehensively manage the student special education process including child find activities, the evaluation and identification process, the plan creation process, and the implementation and periodic review process under IDEA and Section 504
- Participate in the Student Support Team (SST) programs, as appropriate
- Oversee day-to-day tasks of SPED Assistants and SPED Specialists, as applicable
- Ensure specialized instruction is consistent with individual student needs as articulated in the students’ Individual Education Programs (IEPs) or 504 Plans
- Provide guidance and professional development to general education teachers on student accommodation implementation, IDEA, FAPE, Child Find obligations, the student referral process, etc.
- Identify and serve English Language Learners (ELL)
- Ensure compliance with all State and Federal Special Education laws and deadlines
- Schedule and facilitate parent meetings with parents of students suspected of having, or having, a disability, as well as maintaining regular parent communication
- Maintain all special education paperwork and files
- Schedule and facilitate all hearing and vision screenings for students as needed
- Schedule and facilitate student plan reviews
- Execute and oversee all school/location specific programs, testing, and requirements, e.g., English Language Learners (ELL) programs
- Provide or oversee the provision of accommodations for state and in-house testing, as outlined in student accommodation plans
- Maintain appropriate communication with Head of School
- Maintain regular, full, predictable attendance
- Supervise individual students and/or groups of students
- Other duties as assigned
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in special education or related subject matter (or 24+ credit hours in applicable subject matter with other degree)
Certifications and Credentials: Valid Identity Verified Prints (IVP) Fingerprint Clearance Card and/or satisfactory applicable state background check; current special education certificate valid in relevant jurisdiction
Experience: 1 year in a role with related special education job duties
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Education: Master’s degree in special education or related subject matter
Experience: 2+ years with related special education job duties in a similar-sized school
Computer Skills: IEP Pro or other IEP document management system used by the school in the applicable jurisdiction
Additional Job Information:
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS.ed offers a comprehensive benefits package.
NOTE: All employees of BASIS.ed are required to obtain and maintain a valid fingerprint clearance.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS’ non-discrimination policies: Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.