Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Special Education Specialist
Special Education Specialist
|Office:||BASIS Washington DC|
|Location:||Washington DC, DC|
BASIS DC is seeking qualified candidates for a Special Education Specialist to begin ASAP!
The role of the Special Education Specialist (SPED Specialist) is to work directly with students to identify and fulfill needed educational services and supports as part of a student’s Individual Education Program (IEP) or 504 plan. SPED Specialists participate in parent meetings and provide support to the general education teachers regarding disability law and Special Education (SPED) practices.
- Interact directly with assigned students to fulfill IEP and 504 plan items
- Fulfill required provisions in student plans, including service minutes, by providing specialized instruction, supports, and/or related services
- Provide one-on-one support for students on IEP or 504 plans
- Implement, promote, and provide guidance on all disability law requirements and procedures to general education teachers pertaining to their assigned students, including but not limited to IDEA, Section 504, and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal special education laws
- Attend and participate in parent meetings with the Senior SPED/SPED Coordinator(s) and provide information and data collected regarding supported students
- Assist in the facilitation of student plan reviews
- Collect and maintain paperwork associated with IEP and 504 plans and ensure confidentiality and integrity of student records and progress information
- Maintain regular, full, predictable attendance
- Supervise individual students and/or groups of students
- Other duties as assigned
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
Certifications and Credentials: Valid Identity Verified Prints (IVP) Fingerprint Clearance Card and/or satisfactory applicable state background check
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in special education; Master’s degree in special education or related subject matter
Certifications and Credentials: Current special education certificate valid in relevant jurisdiction
Experience: 1+ year(s) with related special education job duties in a similar-sized school
Computer Skills: IEP Pro or other IEP document management system used by the school in the applicable jurisdiction
Additional Job Information:
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS.ed offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS’ non-discrimination policies: Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.