Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Special Education Specialist
Special Education Specialist
|Office:||BASIS Washington DC|
|Location:||Washington DC, DC|
BASIS DC is seeking qualified candidates for a Special Education Specialist to start ASAP!
Under the direction of the 504 Coordinator, the Special Education Specialist is responsible for advocating for the academic and personal/social needs for all BASIS DC students with 504 plans and follow the work schedule provided by the 504 Coordinator.
- Collaborate with 504 Coordinator, other related service providers, and general education teachers to support students with 504 plans
- Monitor the implementation of 504 accommodations by general education and service providers
- Daily tasks include updating/distributing snapshots after 504 meetings as needed
- Participate in initial and follow-up 504 plan meetings as needed
- Forward to 504 Coordinator any concern or question brought up by staff, parent, related service providers and general education teachers
- Meet with students before and after school for check-ins to discuss grades, homework, classwork, tests/quizzes, and projects
- Assist the 504 Coordinator on daily clerical tasks to include but not limited to maintaining confidential files organized and up-to-date.
- Proctor students during test and quizzes to ensure accommodations are being provided.
- Attend weekly grade level meetings to ask or answer questions pertaining to 504 students when appropriate and necessary
- Assess students' progress and forward any student-related concerns to the 504 Coordinator
- Attend parent-teacher conferences when appropriate and necessary
- Collect data from teachers and students when necessary to prepare for a 504 meeting
- Take all necessary and responsible precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Stay current on computer programs used through the BASIS DC or OSSE Network.
- Establish and maintain open communication with students, parents, families, general education teachers, other related service providers, and staff members
- Maintain and professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, families, and community members
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly
- Meet deadlines on short and long term tasks
Minimum Qualifications: Highly qualified. Bachelor’s degree and experience in Inclusive and Pull Out Settings.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working with Exceptional education students; modifying/adapting general education curriculum; providing education services in varied environments. Conditional/Provisional and/or state Licensure preferred.
Additional Job Information:
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS.ed offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS’ non-discrimination policies: Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.