Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Primary School Director
Primary School Director
|Office:||BASIS International Guangzhou|
BASIS International Schools are part of one of the most collaborative and professional teaching communities in the world. As part of the BASIS Curriculum Schools network, BASIS International Schools seek to continue the tradition of academic excellence established by the BASIS Curriculum Schools network in the United States. BASIS Curriculum Schools are consistently ranked among the top 10 programs in the U.S., and currently hold all of the top 5 high school rankings in the U.S. (U.S. News & World Report 2018 Best High Schools).
Leadership opportunities within BASIS International Schools offer a tremendous pathway to working in an international capacity with a global school network that includes some of the highest performing schools in the world. We are seeking a Primary School Director for BASIS International School Guangzhou to continue to cultivate an environment of hard work and academic excellence among our students.
Highly focused on academic outcomes, the Primary School Director is responsible for establishing and maintaining student support programs that lead to exceptional student outcomes. Through elevated expectations of student capabilities and a willingness to ensure that all students have the support they need to be successful, this person will take a data driven approach to assessing the needs of the students and allocate the resources needed to enhance the students’ educational experience.
The Primary School Director will focus on managing divisional faculty and parent education on all aspects of the student experience in their division-academic, co-curricular, athletic, behavioral, pastoral. This will include supervision of teachers, subject coordinators, deans, Learning Expert Teachers (LETs), and teaching fellows.
* Observe, supervise, and evaluate divisional faculty in the development and implementation of curriculum (BeLA, PowerSchool), including the development of the master schedule, teaching assignments, and student classes.
* Oversee academic guidance, grading, and standards for student assessments.
* Guide faculty in classroom management, teaching methods, and school procedures to ensure the student classroom experience is characterized by high expectations and high levels of support.
* Facilitate opportunities for staff to exchange information and ideas to ensure a school climate that is supportive with high morale.
* Creates effective parent communication for their division, including informational programming such as Parent Education Events
* Works with the Head of School and administration on the program and implementation of all school events, such as: Curriculum Night, State of the School, Upper School Parent Nights, and rising parent and student events.
* Where applicable, supports college counseling in achieving the goals for college admittance.
* Works collaboratively with the Director of Academic Programs on the processes necessary for the development of the master school schedule and master calendar.
* Participates in activities coordinated by the admissions team by participating in informational meetings, personal family meetings, and select community events to ensure that the school meets annual recruitment goals.
* Works with faculty and staff to administer admissions operations.
* Creates onboarding programs for the orientation of new faculty under the guidance of the Head of School
* Holds regular meetings with faculty to exchange information and ideas.
* Oversee all suspension/expulsion level disciplinary cases, all academic dishonesty cases.
Primary School Specific Responsibilities
* Create procedures for collecting or organizing substitute plans and recruit Teachers and Teaching Fellows for substitute duty which the Curriculum Coordinator then manages
* Review results of assessments including:
o Benchmarking Exams
o ISA Exams
* Review progress reports and prepares summaries (e.g. Honor Roll reports for award ceremonies) to share with the Head of School
* Coordinate with the Director of ELL to ensure literacy resources and assessment data are fully accessible to teachers and fully utilized
* Support the Lead Dean in management of the LET/SET relationship
* Bachelor’s degree, Master's degree preferred
* A minimum of five years of experience in an educational environment, preferably in an administrative capacity
* Sound understanding of academic plans and approaches to learning
* Experience working with young students
* Experience working with and coaching teachers on effective instructional methods
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in tutoring or case management is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant should possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations and be open to new ideas in education.
Salary for this position is competitive and based upon education and experience. BASIS International Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage, housing allowance, travel allowance, and more.
Job Reference #: 971281