Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Head of School
Head of School
|Office:||BASIS Independent McLean|
BASIS Independent McLean is seeking qualified candidates for a Head of School!
Who we are...
The mission of BASIS Independent Schools is to redefine what a world-class education means by raising the levels of student learning to the highest international standards. Every BASIS Independent campus offers the BASIS Curriculum and provides a joyful learning community where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary student outcomes. Our schools break the traditional private school model and have no Board of Trustees and no fundraising, ensuring our administrators and teachers are able to focus entirely on student success. In just four years we have established five highly-regarded private schools (PreK-12) in some of the country's most dynamic regions -- Northern Virginia/metropolitan Washington, D.C., New York City, and Silicon Valley -- with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent McLean has a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
You can expect to...
As the Head of School of BASIS Independent McLean (PreK-12), you will be a personable and effective leader who is passionate about our mission to educate students to the highest international standards. You will be dedicated to fostering the traditions, relationships, and practices that will further establish the school's community, culture, and values. In everything you do, you will foster academic excellence while ensuring that students receive the support they need to find passion in the classroom. You will be comfortable with a data-driven approach to assess and ensure that the school operations and the accelerated academic programs are serving the needs of our students and families. You will be a visionary leader and a master of "thinking on your feet," able to develop and implement long-term strategic plans. Most importantly, you will have a proven record of sound judgment and building strong, effective, and trusting relationships with all members of the school community, including school leadership, faculty, staff, and current families, as well as prospective families.
- Acts as the educational leader of the school, responsible for its day-to-day operation, its culture, traditions, and its sense of community
- Is a visible presence in all areas of the school community
- Serves as chief articulator of the mission and goals of the school for faculty, parents, and students, and leads the execution of regular formal communications in this capacity
- Ensures an environment in which learning can take place through a school climate that is supportive and features high morale for all members of the community
- Recruits, trains and develops highly qualified and mission-driven faculty and staff
- Observes, supervises, evaluates, and mentors faculty in the development and implementation of curriculum
- Manages and mentors teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and school procedures
- Establishes a good working relationship with the Head of Operations to ensure that student and faculty needs are met promptly, to prioritize student and campus safety, and to support the facilities and IT teams to maintain the day-to-day operations
- Oversees the activities of the school directors and meets regularly with them to assess student performance, optimize student support systems, and maintain a positive disciplinary climate
- Drives enrollment growth of the school, and works collaboratively and proactively with the admissions team by participating in informational meetings, personal family meetings, and select community events to ensure that the school meets annual enrollment goals
- Works with faculty and staff to administer admissions operations
- Manages the processes necessary for the development of the master school schedule; assigns teachers and students to classes and other obligations
- Oversees academic guidance, grading, and standards for student assessment
- Ensures that engaging enrichment opportunities and auxiliary programs are available to students
- Ensures compliance with all legal requirements of government regulations and agencies with support from the central legal and compliance team
- Works collaboratively with the central marketing team to ensure proper brand and marketing efforts are facilitated in the school and within the community
- Strong belief in the educational philosophy and program model for BASIS Curriculum Schools
- Experience as an exceptional leader, with preference for years of experience as a Head of School at a top tier independent school
- A passionate and visionary leader with a deep interest and/or experience in being a leader of a school in its founding years
- An advanced degree
- Intellectual gravitas
- A genuine enjoyment and passion for working with young children and their parents
- High level of interpersonal skill; approachable and sincere
- Highly proactive and responsive to parents and student needs, always ensures proper follow-up and action is taken
- Has a strong work ethic and demonstrates patience, flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage, mentor, support and inspire talented faculty and staff
- Strong belief in the value of all types of diversity within a school community, and a commitment to promote and model intellectual engagement in such a community
- A highly visible and hands-on management style
- Ability to analyze data to improve student achievement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to serve as an articulate and inspiring advocate for the school with current and prospective parents
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision making
- Excellent problem solving and negotiating skills
- Ability to work independently with diverse constituents while maintaining high professional standards
- Exemplary organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities, and to work under pressure
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
The Nitty Gritty...
Benefits and Salary: Pay for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package (healthcare, retirement, tuition remission, etc).
Note: BASIS Independent Schools, LLC (BINS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law. BINS expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.
Job Reference #: 809323