Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Head of School
Head of School
|Office:||BASIS Independent McLean|
BASIS Independent McLean is seeking qualified candidates for a Head of School!
Who We Are
BASIS Independent Schools is a network of PreK-grade 12 private schools raising the standards of student learning to the highest international levels. In five years, we have established five leading private schools in some of the world's most dynamic regions, including New York City, Silicon Valley, and Northern Virginia, with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent Schools is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What We're Looking For
As the Head of School of BASIS Independent McLean (toddler-grade 12), you will be a personable and effective leader who is passionate about our mission to educate students to the highest international standards. You will be dedicated to fostering the traditions, relationships, and practices that will further establish the school's community, culture, and values. In everything you do, you will foster academic excellence while ensuring that students receive the support they need to find passion in the classroom. You will be comfortable with a data-driven approach to assess and ensure that the school operations and the accelerated academic programs are serving the needs of our students and families. You will be a visionary leader capable of developing and implementing long-term strategic plans, while also being an efficient and decisive manager and a master of "thinking on your feet." Most importantly, you will have a proven record of sound judgment and building strong, effective, and trusting relationships with all members of the school community, including school leadership, faculty, staff, students and current families, as well as prospective families.
Your Primary Responsibilities
- Acts as the educational leader of the school, responsible for its day-to-day operation, its culture, traditions, and its sense of community
- Is a visible presence in all areas of the school community
- Serves as chief articulator of the mission and goals of the school for faculty, parents, and students, and leads the execution of regular formal communications in this capacity
- Ensures an environment in which learning can take place through a school climate that is supportive and features high morale for all members of the community
- Drives enrollment growth of the school, and works collaboratively and proactively with the admissions team by participating in informational meetings, personal family meetings, and select community events to ensure that the school meets annual enrollment goals
- Works with faculty and staff to administer admissions operations
- Engages equally with the unique contributions and input of all of our families (you will not be asked to fundraise, as we are a for-profit school and seek to avoid any hierarchies in the school community)
- Recruits, trains and develops highly qualified and mission-driven faculty and staff
- Establishes a good working relationship with the Head of Operations to ensure that student and faculty needs are met promptly, to prioritize student and campus safety, and to support the facilities and IT teams to maintain the day-to-day operations
- Maintains a strong relationship with the BASIS Independent Schools central office team to leverage best practices and centralized support functions
- Provides strategic oversight of college counseling
- Oversees the activities of the school directors and meets regularly with them to assess student performance, optimize student support systems, and maintain a positive disciplinary climate
- Oversees school scheduling, academic guidance, grading, and standards for student assessment
- Ensures that engaging enrichment opportunities and auxiliary programs are available to students
- Ensures student safety and compliance with all legal requirements of government regulations and agencies with support from the central legal and compliance team
- Strong belief in the educational philosophy and program model for BASIS Curriculum Schools
- A passionate and visionary leader with a deep interest and/or experience in being a leader of a school in its founding years
- An advanced degree
- A genuine enjoyment and passion for working with children and their parents
- High level of interpersonal skill; approachable and sincere
- Highly proactive and responsive to parents and student needs, always ensures proper follow-up and action is taken
- Has a strong work ethic, an efficient management style and demonstrates patience, flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage, mentor, support and inspire talented faculty and staff
- Strong belief in the value of all types of diversity within a school community, and a commitment to promote and model intellectual engagement in such a community
- A highly visible and hands-on management style
- Ability to analyze data to improve student achievement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to serve as an articulate and inspiring advocate for the school with current and prospective parents as well as with the broader community
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision making
- Excellent problem solving and negotiating skills
- Ability to work independently with diverse constituents while maintaining high professional standards
- Exemplary organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities, and to work under pressure
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
The Nitty Gritty
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes:
- Career Growth - We believe our people deserve every opportunity to utilize and expand their knowledge and skills, and to share their passions. From our classrooms to central operations, our culture is one of continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement in our schools or across our network.
- Retirement - Your future financial well-being is important to us. Even if you do not contribute to your 401K, we will contribute 3% and will match up to 9% after five years.
- Health Insurance - We want you to have the care you need. We offer three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- Flexible Spending - Because health, childcare, and travel expenses can add up, we offer an FSA that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student Tuition Remission - You help us create a world-class program for our students. To show our appreciation, we offer your children significant tuition remission to attend our schools.
Note: BASIS Independent Schools, LLC (BINS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law. BINS expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.
Job Reference #: 1065142