Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Head of School
Head of School
|Office:||BASIS International School Beijing|
The BASIS Curriculum Schools network is a nationally and internationally acclaimed U.S. and international network of 37 schools. Our network uniquely encompasses open-enrollment public charter schools across the United States, private schools in the major metropolitan areas (Silicon Valley, New York City, and Northern Virginia), and the BASIS International Schools in China and Thailand. The network educates more than 24,000 students, and has produced exceptional results as measured by U.S. national high school rankings, AP College Board exam results, OECD/PISA international assessment scores, National Merit Scholarship Program honors, and university admissions. For detailed information on the network, it’s extraordinary schools, and the accomplishments of our students and teachers, please visit our main website at basiscurriculumschools.com, or our other informative sites: basisindependent.com, or basised.com.
The BASIS Curriculum Schools network was founded by Michael and Olga Block in 1998. At the core of their educational vision is a belief that the goal of a great education is to provide students with choices, with unbounded opportunities in a global marketplace for talent and ideas. Creativity, innovation, and disciplined experimentation that is powered by traditional content knowledge is the signature of our world-wide learning community. We hire passionate subject experts who love their disciplines, and love teaching children.
"It is the creative tension between the requirements of a rigorous, well-articulated curriculum, and the desire of teachers to convince their students of the wonder of their discipline, that energizes our classrooms." - Co-founder Michael Block
The culture at BASIS Curriculum Schools originates from two self-evident truths: there is no substitute for hard work and persistence; and, accomplishment and learning to be of use to others foster deep satisfaction.
The key responsibility of a Head of School in a BASIS International School in China is the stewardship of this instructional culture. Our Heads of School will be judged by their ability to hire outstanding teachers, to support and to inspire them to ensure that our students mature intellectually, socially, and emotionally in an environment that offers them the highest levels of academic challenge and the highest levels of support.
BASIS International Schools now has plans well underway to expand significantly across China, with up to ten international schools opening over the next few years. As such, we offer candidates unprecedented opportunities for professional growth. BASIS International Schools in China's mission is simple: to operate a network of international schools that will be judged as amongst the best schools in China, and the world.
"A great international school in contemporary China must fulfill two important promises to our families: we must connect our students to educational and professional opportunities across the globe, and at the same time ensure that our students are deeply rooted in the language and culture of this nation’s extraordinarily rich, vibrant, and ancient civilization." - Dr. Q. Mark Reford, CEO, BASIS Global
The first BASIS International School opened in Shenzhen, China, in 2015, with 400 students in PreK through 9th grade. This remarkable school has now grown to over one thousand students, and has extensive waiting lists in this, its third year. BASIS International School Shenzhen was the largest first-year opening of an international school in the history of Southern China. BASIS International School Guangzhou opened to similar acclaim in 2017.
In August 2018, BASIS International School Park Lane Harbour opened, located within a new resort development at Daya Bay, near Huizhou in Guangdong Province. The school is a day and boarding school for up to 1,200 students, initially serving grades 5-9, growing to be a grades 5-12 school. Alson in August 2018, BASIS International Schools opened BASIS International School Hangzhou, the first BASIS International School outside of southern China, in Zhejiang Province. This will be a school for up to 1,200 students, initially serving grades K-9, growing to be a K-12 school.
BASIS International Schools in China now plan to open schools in Nanjing, Wuhan, Shanghai, Chengdu, and other metropolitan cities throughout China, with BASIS International School Nanjing launching in August 2019. BASIS International Schools in China is now seeking to appoint Heads of School, to commence in August 2019, who will prepare the schools for launch and lead them thereafter. The successful candidates will be experienced and demonstrably successful educational leaders, who have an absolute passion for the pursuit of excellence in academic achievement. These will be outstanding opportunities to lead the development of new schools in China.
Being affiliated with one of the most highly acclaimed and demonstrably successful educational organizations operating today, a Founding Head of School with BASIS International Schools will occupy a prominent role in the forefront of educational innovation. With the benefit of a well-established model, you will enjoy the challenge of establishing a new school with a unique intellectual culture and the deep experience and financing of a globally experienced startup. Heads of School enjoy a good deal of autonomy in the leadership of their schools. Further, as leaders in the BASIS International Schools network, Heads of School will benefit from long-term opportunities for professional growth across China.
There is no specific requirement for applicants to have had experience with any particular national curriculum. Due to the uniqueness of the BASIS Curriculum, system, and approach, the only requirement will be for the Head of School to be open-minded, inquisitive, and dedicated to understanding and embracing BASIS International Schools' mission, as well as the network’s learning philosophy and academic program. Becoming a vocal champion of this unique program is critical to inspire prospective families, faculty, and staff to reach the greatest potential one can attain through studying the BASIS Curriculum and earning the BASIS Diploma.
To learn more about BASIS International Schools in China, please take time to gain more insight on our schools and locations on our YouTube Channel: bit.ly/BASISinternationalschools-China.
The key responsibility of a Head of School in a BASIS International School in China is to be the steward of the instructional culture. Our Heads of School will be judged by their ability to hire outstanding teachers, to support and to inspire them to ensure that our students mature intellectually, socially, and emotionally in an environment that offers them the highest levels of academic challenge and the highest levels of support.
The Head of School:
* Acts as the educational leader of the school, responsible for its day-to-day academic operation, its culture, and its sense of community.
* Is responsible for maintaining the enrollment of the school.
* Oversees the activities of the school directors and meets regularly with them to assess teacher and student performance.
* Serves as chief articulator of the mission and goals of the school for faculty, parents, and students, and leads the execution of regular formal communications in this capacity.
* Ensures that directors observe, supervise, and evaluate faculty in the development and implementation of the BASIS Curriculum. Directors are required to spend 90 - 120 minutes each day in classrooms observing faculty.
* Ensures an environment in which student learning takes place in a school climate that is supportive and demonstrates high morale.
* Works collaboratively and proactively with the admissions team by participating in informational meetings, personal family meetings, and select community events to ensure that the school meets annual recruitment goals.
* Works with faculty and staff to administer admissions operations.
* Oversees the activities of the school directors and meets regularly with them to assess student performance.
* Ensures compliance with all legal requirements of government regulations and agencies.
* Establishes programs and supports existing BASIS Curriculum Schools network programs for the orientation of new faculty.
* Conducts regular meetings with faculty to exchange information and ideas.
* Manages the processes necessary for the development of the master school schedule; assigns teachers and students to classes and other obligations.
* Oversees academic guidance, grading, and standards for student assessment.
* Is a visible presence in all aspects of school life. Heads of School are encouraged to spend at least 60 minutes a day in classrooms.
* Establishes a good working relationship with the Head of Operations to ensure that student and faculty needs are met promptly and within budget.
* Works collaboratively with the network’s marketing, communications, and branding teams to ensure proper marketing, communications, and branding efforts are facilitated within the school and the community.
The successful candidate will be able to meet the following criteria:
* Qualified to degree level, preferably also with a post-graduate degree in education or educational administration. Qualified teacher status.
* Strong belief in and willingness to adhere to the mission of the schools within the BASIS Curriculum Schools network, as well as the BASIS Curriculum itself, and existing network systems and setup.
* Significant experience in school leadership, preferably including independent and/or international school experience.
* Intellectual gravitas.
* Ability to analyze data to improve student achievement.
* Demonstrated ability to recruit, mentor, manage, and inspire talented faculty.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to serve as an articulate advocate for the school with prospective parents.
* Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision making.
* Excellent problem solving and negotiating skills.
* Ability to work independently with diverse constituents while maintaining high professional standards.
* Excellent organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities and to work under pressure.
* Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy.
* Patience, flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor.
* A highly visible and hands-on management style.
* A genuine enjoyment in working with children and their parents.
* Culturally aware, sensitive, and diplomatic.
The successful candidate will be appointed on an initial four-year contract, renewable thereafter by mutual agreement. A competitive international salary and benefits package will be offered, which will include;
* Competitive salary
* Relocation allowance
* Flights at start and end of contract
* Furnished housing
* Free tuition for up to two dependents
* Health care
* Annual travel allowance
* End of contract bonus
For more information on the BASIS Curriculum Schools results and achievements please visit: http://basisindependent.com/achievements-and-results/international-benchmarking.php
Interest in Head of School opportunities with BASIS International Schools in China may submitted electronically by including a resume and cover letter outlining your educational philosophy and interest in working with BASIS International Schools in China via email directly to:
VP Talent Strategy
Job Reference #: 994274