Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Elementary Music Teacher
Elementary Music Teacher
|Office:||BASIS International School Futian|
BASIS International School Shenzhen-Futian is seeking qualified candidates for Elementary Music Teacher for the 2019-2020 school year!
BASIS International School teachers are knowledgeable, passionate, and believe in transforming education. As part of a uniquely collaborative and professional teaching community, BASIS International School teachers motivate students to reach their highest potential, while also elevating their own skills through peer collaboration and a culture where learning is of the greatest importance. Our elementary classes are taught by two teachers--one Subject Expert Teacher (SET) and one Learning Expert Teacher (LET).
BASIS Elementary Subject Expert Teachers teach in a unique model where they are able to focus their teaching on a specific subject rather than preparing lessons for several subjects every day. They work collaboratively with Learning Expert Teachers (LETs) to cultivate a joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and where intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary student outcomes. At the elementary level, LETs help you focus on instruction while they ensure individual student understanding according to student needs. As a Music Subject Expert Teacher, it is primarily your responsibility to develop engaging, content-rich music lesson plans, which in turn will enable students to think both critically and creatively about the role of music in the human experience, and also as a form of self-expression.
Elementary Music teachers lay a foundation for a life-long love of, and appreciation for, music by introducing basic melodic and rhythmic concepts, instrument types and families, vocal posture and breathing, and numerous other topics and skills. Music teachers also have the unique opportunity to collaborate with other Subject Expert Teachers to bring music into history, technology, and other subject areas to provide further context and enhanced learning for students. Our teachers are encouraged to bring their own passion into the classroom and share with students in an enthusiastic and innovative way to produce extraordinary outcomes.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject specific lessons in Music for elementary aged students.
- Provide music instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment and delivering exceptional results for all students.
- Implement the BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students' education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS International School teachers to create interdisciplinary lessons and incorporate music as a part of other areas of knowledge.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of students' academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
- A Bachelor's degree in Music or Music Education; in addition to a Bachelor's degree (or 24-30 credit hours in music) an advanced degree in music or special music teaching certification are preferred.
- Documentation of passage of a state or national authorized subject test in the teaching area may fulfill the special music certification.
- Minimum two years teaching experience as a lead teacher.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background clearance.
Preferred: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Must be open to new ideas in teaching. Practical experience in performing, composing, or recording music is strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS International Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health coverage, housing allowance, travel assistance, and more. Assistance in obtaining a visa will be provided.
Job Reference #: 854356