Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.BASIS.edBASIS International Schools
Deputy General Counsel
Deputy General Counsel
|Office:||BASIS.ed Scottsdale Office|
BASIS.ed currently manages 27 tuition-free public charter schools across Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, and Washington, D.C. that are consistently ranked among the best K?12 schools in the United States.? The BASIS.ed Central Offices team provides critical support to our top ranked schools.
Your ability to drive results impacts our schools' success and the global growth of our organization. If you are excited about how your work will influence educational outcomes or support global growth, bring that excitement with you to this role!
Deputy General Counsel
BASIS.ed is looking to hire a Deputy General Counsel for our Scottsdale office.? The successful candidate demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to work hard and do what it takes to support our schools and central office, and sound judgment in providing advice in a fast-paced environment.
In this critical role, you will use your legal knowledge and practical instincts to provide guidance and oversight on issues escalated by school management, research and analyze applicable law to establish and maintain compliance requirements and best practices for school operations, partner with Human Resources and outside counsel on compliant employment policies and responses to employee relations matters, and review and provide guidance on a variety of corporate and transactional legal issues.? ?
Your ability to adapt to and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment will constantly be tapped as you work with senior management in both our central office and at each school on mission critical assignments and balance evolving priorities. Your desire for ownership of your work and to make an impact will be satisfied as you address the broad needs of our schools with limited oversight by the General Counsel and enable school employees to effectively and efficiently provide the extraordinary education our students and parents expect.
Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- J.D. and licensed to practice law and in good standing
- 3-5 years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Ability to analyze statutes, regulations, and case law to quickly provide practical advice in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to independently make decisions balancing legal requirements and business needs, and to efficiently and effectively communicate with a non-lawyer audience
- Excellent judgment
- Strong legal research skills
- Analytical thinker who is independent/self-starter
- Polished written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively build relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders and third-party professionals
- Strong organizational and planning skills including the ability to remain flexible amid shifting priorities
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce quality, on-time work products with limited oversight
- An entrepreneurial spirit and an energetic do-what-it-takes attitude
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to work effectively, cooperatively, and efficiently in a team environment
- Intermediate or better skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- A high level of professionalism, confidence, and integrity
- Transactional, employment, or school law experience a plus.
- Prior professional experience in an in-house legal department, non-legal business role, or a school is desired.
?Additional Job Information: ?
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS.ed offers a comprehensive benefits package.?
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. ?The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS? non-discrimination policies:? Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
?*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: ?BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities. ??